News at a Glance...
New technology development kits make it easier to correct design errors and customize devices.
Lowers total development costs and speeds time to market for embedded designs.
Access to component source code provides ultimate design customization.
EMBEDDED SYSTEMS CONFERENCE BOSTON, September 14, 2004 - QNX Software Systems today announced a series of value-added embedded software products that feature royalty-free licensing as standard components. These innovative new product offerings will help QNX customers lower the cost and development time needed to bring embedded devices to market and make it far easier to customize and debug their designs.
The new offerings, packaged as highly integrated Technology Development Kits (TDKs), combine binaries, utilities, tools, and in most cases source code, for value-added QNX software components that provide advanced functionality not supported by conventional RTOSs. Each TDK is packaged as a distinct module, so customers can choose one or many, depending on the features needed in their embedded design.
Designed for use with the QNX® Momentics® development suite Professional Edition, the TDKs are also optimized to take advantage of key features of the QNX Neutrino® RTOS. Each TDK also includes a royalty-free license to distribute specific components for use in OEM devices.
The QNX TDKs available today are:
- QNX Extended Networking TDK - Provides source, utilities, protocol stacks, and other tools to support IPv6, IPSec, and other advanced networking features; and allows developers to perform custom hardware integration and optimization for networking devices.
- QNX Flash File System and Embedding TDK - Provides read/write persistent storage that is resilient to power failures and provides a longer predictable life span for flash parts. Includes NOR and NAND flash file systems, a media-independent embedded transactional file system (ETFS), and an on-the-fly decompression utility.
- QNX Web Browser TDK - Allows developers to customize the QNX Voyager(TM) 2 embedded browser user interface for devices that have limited memory and CPU resources, or where the customer needs to brand their browser interface with a unique look-and-feel.
- QNX Critical Process Monitoring TDK - Allows applications to implement custom recovery scenarios and reconnect instantly after system failures; includes critical process monitoring software components, APIs, libraries, regression test programs, and sample code for restarting, heartbeating, etc.
- QNX Multimedia TDK - Provides reusable media format and content handlers with built-in support for a number of standard multimedia formats, enabling customers to build their own media playback or recording applications.
- QNX 3D Graphics TDK - Provides standards-based support for accelerated 3D graphics, including libraries and drivers, allowing developers to create sophisticated displays with little impact on CPU performance.
- QNX Symmetric Multiprocessing TDK - Allows developers to optimize performance and increase device scalability by running multiple applications and system services in parallel on SMP hardware. This TDK is available in binary form only.
- QNX MOST TDK (in development) - Created for developers building high-performance in-vehicle media systems, this TDK provides source and libraries to quickly customize NetServices, IP networking, and drivers for the high-speed media-oriented systems transport (MOST) bus.
"With access to source code and royalty-free licenses, QNX customers are well-positioned to meet the increasing market pressures for design excellence and reduced time to market," said Dan Dodge, president and CEO of QNX Software Systems. "We recognize that each customer is unique, and, unlike our competitors' all-or-nothing vertical platform approach, our TDKs allow OEMs to optimize their technology selections for their particular design challenge."
Availability and Pricing
QNX TDKs are available today. Prices start at US$5000 and vary by technology, project and platform usage. For complete information, visit www.qnx.com/products or contact email@example.com.
About QNX Software Systems
With millions of installations worldwide, QNX Software Systems is the global leader in realtime, microkernel operating system technology. Companies like Cisco, DaimlerChrysler, Harris, Siemens, and General Electric rely on QNX technology to build ultra-reliable systems for the networking, automotive, medical, military, and industrial automation markets. Founded in 1980, QNX Software Systems maintains offices throughout North America, Europe, and Asia. Visit http://www.qnx.com.