Companys technology will be shown by Audi, BMW, iControl,
ng Connect Program, RIM, and many others
2011 CES (South Hall, Booth #30320), LAS VEGAS, January 4, 2011
QNX Software Systems Co., a global leader in operating systems and middleware for connected embedded computing verticals, including automotive, medical, and consumer electronics, will showcase new technologies and systems for in-car infotainment, mobile device integration, and smart home automation at 2011 International CES. The company, along with partners and customers, will demonstrate a variety of new and soon-to-be-available implementations of its production-proven and future-ready software platform.
Were committed to helping our customers deliver the advanced functionality their users demand, whether its in-car systems to keep them safe, productive, and connected; medical devices to keep them healthy; or home management systems to manage their energy usage and shrink their carbon footprint, stated Derek Kuhn, vice president, sales and marketing, QNX Software Systems. Im thrilled to see the breadth of offerings our customers and technology partners are showcasing at this years International CES.
Numerous demonstrations of QNX-based devices will take place at the Research In Motion (RIM) booth (South Hall, #30320), as well as in partner booths and suites. The QNX demos and announcements include:
Home Security and Management Application:
- New Toyota® Entune™ multimedia system: Toyota has selected the QNX CAR™ Application Platform as the software foundation for its new Entune multimedia system, announced today. Toyota Entune leverages the customer’s mobile phone to create a rich, in-vehicle experience that delivers integrated navigation, entertainment, and information services. It also provides conversational voice recognition and in-vehicle controls that allow the customer to take advantage of these services without having to touch their mobile phone.
- BMW ConnectedDrive® with smartphone email and messaging (SMS) connectivity: In the RIM booth, QNX will feature a sleek BMW Z4 Roadster, complete with the new QNX-powered BMW ConnectedDrive, the first in-car system to let drivers listen to emails from Bluetooth-connected phones while driving. BMW ConnectedDrive is also the only in-car system that can display calendar entries, text messages, call and contact lists, and memos from compatible Bluetooth® phones. The system is designed to enable drivers to enjoy increased connectivity while remaining focused on the road.
- QNX CAR™ Application Platform: This exclusive, invitation-only demo in the RIM booth showcases the latest features of the QNX CAR Application Platform, including smartphone and tablet integration. The demo also includes a dynamically reconfigurable digital instrument cluster, which features instrumentation that can morph to present a speedometer with user-controlled information, such as weather, album art, and 3D navigation.
- TeleNav navigation added to QNX CAR platform: QNX and TeleNav are adding support for TeleNav’s connected GPS navigation to work with the QNX CAR Application Platform and will demonstrate this new functionality in the “Five Spot Room” at the Renaissance Hotel. This will enable automakers to provide drivers with 3D turn-by-turn navigation and voice prompts, along with real-time information such as up-to-date maps, business listings, traffic information, gas prices, and more.
- Audi A8 with 3G MMI navigation and infotainment system: At the Audi booth (North Hall #2832), the capabilities of the QNX® Neutrino® RTOS will be featured in the Audi A8’s 3G MMI infotainment system, the first in-car system to deliver 3D navigation powered by Google Earth.
- ng Connect Program™ LTE Connected Car: Alcatel-Lucent (South Hall #35469) will feature the LTE Connected Car, based on a Toyota Prius® and the QNX CAR Application Platform. The LTE Connected Car shows how Long Term Evolution 4G networks can bring reliable crowd sourcing, video-on-demand, Internet radio, and other wireless broadband services to the automobile.
- iControl: iControl will demonstrate its QNX-powered touch screen, an easy-to-use interface to its broadband home management solution, at the Aria Hotel and Casino at City Center. The iControl platform, offered by top-tier broadband service providers and home security companies, allows homeowners to see and control their homes — including security and energy systems — via the Internet and mobile devices.
NX experts on CES Panels:
- QNX technology will also be featured in demos by technology partners Freescale (Palazzo #100-106), Nvidia (Booth #31431), and Texas Instruments (Hilton and Booth #36505).
- Derek Kuhn, QNX vice president of sales and marketing, will participate in the panel “Merging Content with New Technologies — Content Reinvention with the Next Generation of Tablets, eReaders and Mobile Devices” at Digital Hollywood on January 5, from 11:30 am – 12:30 pm (North Hall N259).
- Andrew Poliak, QNX director of automotive business development, will participate in the panel “Connect2Car: Consumer's Lifestyle and the Transformation of Consumer Electronics in the Connected Vehicle” on January 6, from 3:00 - 4:30 pm (North Hall N254).
About QNX Software Systems
QNX Software Systems Co., a subsidiary of Research In Motion Limited (RIM) (NASDAQ:RIMM; TSX:RIM), is a leading vendor of operating systems, middleware, development tools, and professional services for the embedded systems market. Global leaders such as Cisco, Daimler, General Electric, Lockheed Martin, and Siemens depend on QNX technology for network routers, vehicle telematics units, industrial control systems, medical instruments, security and defense systems, and other mission- or life-critical applications. Founded in 1980, QNX Software Systems Co. is headquartered in Ottawa, Canada; its products are distributed in over 100 countries worldwide. Visit www.qnx.com.
QNX, Momentics, Neutrino, Aviage, Photon and Photon microGUI are trademarks of QNX Software Systems GmbH & Co. KG, which are registered trademarks and/or used in certain jurisdictions, and are used under license by QNX Software Systems Co. All other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
QNX Software Systems Co. (QNX) is a subsidiary of Research In Motion Limited (RIM). Forward-looking statements in this news release are made pursuant to the "safe harbor" provisions of the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 and applicable Canadian securities laws. When used herein, words such as "expect", "anticipate", "estimate", "may", "will", "should", "intend," "believe", and similar expressions, are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on estimates and assumptions made by QNX in light of its experience and its perception of historical trends, current conditions and expected future developments, as well as other factors that QNX believes are appropriate in the circumstances. Many factors could cause QNX's actual results, performance or achievements to differ materially from those expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements, including those described in the "Risk Factors" section of RIM's Annual Information Form, which is included in its Annual Report on Form 40-F (copies of which filings may be obtained at www.sedar.com or www.sec.gov). These factors should be considered carefully, and readers should not place undue reliance on QNXs forward-looking statements. RIM and QNX have no intention and undertake no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by law.