BlackBerry and AWS are joining forces to develop BlackBerry IVY, a scalable, cloud-connected software platform that will allow automakers to create personalized driver and passenger experiences and improve operations of connected vehicles with new BlackBerry QNX and AWS technology.
Fueling Business Outcomes
BlackBerry IVY will help automakers and automotive suppliers:
- Fuel Innovation by supporting rapid development of new customer experiences
- Drive Revenue by unlocking new revenue streams and business models
- Reduce Costs by moving processing to the edge & reducing raw data transmission
- Improve Operations with enhanced data visibility and access
- Expand Ecosystems by unlocking the broader app developer community
BlackBerry IVY - Intelligent Vehicle Data Platform
What is BlackBerry IVY?
BlackBerry IVY is a scalable, cloud-connected software platform that will allow automakers to provide a consistent and secure way to read vehicle sensor data, normalize it, and create actionable insights from that data - both locally in the vehicle and in the cloud. BlackBerry IVY will leverage BlackBerry QNX’s automotive software expertise and AWS’s broad portfolio of services, including IoT and machine learning. BlackBerry IVY will run on the edge, inside a vehicle’s embedded systems, but will be managed and configured from the cloud. With support for multiple operating systems and multi-cloud deployments, automakers will have the ability to deliver new features, functionality, and experiences to customers over the lifetime of their vehicles.
BlackBerry IVY addresses a critical data access, collection, and management problem in the automotive industry. In the past, the wide variety of vehicle sensors, and the unique formats of data each produce, meant highly specialized skills were required to develop software for vehicles and to access and interact with vehicle data, especially data contained in vehicle safety-critical subsystems. A data abstraction layer in BlackBerry IVY ensures vehicle data and driver privacy is protected and reliable functioning of safety-critical systems.
BlackBerry IVY will offer consistent and simple in-vehicle APIs to safely access sensor data outputs, process that data with code (including machine learning) and to share insights created with application developers.
Benefits of BlackBerry IVY
- Broader app developer community
- Cross platform software compatibility
- Total control & ownership of data
- Build once and deploy to multiple OS and cloud platforms
- Access to vehicle data & insights
- No specialized embedded or automotive software skills needed
- Personalized in-car experiences
- More frequent feature updates
- More data protection and privacy